Tuesday, February 26, 2008

LARRY NORMAN. 4/8/1947 - 2/24/2008



I was introduced to the music of Larry Norman sometime around the late 80's/early 90's, and I was struck at the rawness of his music. Being drawn to folks like Neil Young, The Stones, and Bob Dylan I liked Larry Norman immediately. His music contains the same sense of urgency, and although drawing from a different well than the likes of the Stones...the intensity is the same. I know alot of folks will be turned off by the faith-based-aspect of his music, but do yourself a favor and give it a listen.

There are plenty of discs available out there on the web, and Arena Rock Records is working on a 2 disc anthology for release on May 27. A final note from Larry can be read on the official website that I will link below, and I'm sure if you buy records straight from his site the money will help pay some of his medical bills. His voice will surely be missed, and his influence will carry on. I'm off to the turntable to crank up "Only Visiting This Planet". Selah.

Edit: Added the track "I've Got to Learn to Live Without You" below. If you like the Jayhawks (especially the latter albums), I think you'll like this song...I've often wondered if Gary Louris was influenced by L.N.

  • Larry Norman on Wikipedia

  • Official Website

  • Arena Rock Recording Co.

  • No comments: