Thursday, July 31, 2008

BOOKS



Top: Detail from "Their Ancient Grudge" (University of TN Press)
Bottom: "In the Footsteps of Champions" (University of TN Press)

Some of you may know that I started a new fulltime gig recently. Instead of freelance design, I am now designing books at the University of Tennessee Press. It's been an interesting transition for me, and I'm excited about seeing the first two projects I worked on come into the Press all printed and shrink-wrapped. The first one is a novel originally published in 1946 by Harry Harrison Kroll called "Their Ancient Grudge". It's based on the Hatfield/McCoy feud and should be a really great read. I just worked on the cover, and have shown a piece of it here.

The second project was the big one; a retrospective of the past 30 years of Lady Vol Athletics. It's chock full of stats, facts, stories, and photos...all hopefully designed so that it's fun to read and look at. It's 336-odd pages with 250-odd photos, and every stat you could imagine...four main chapters covering the beginnings of the program through now. It was a challenge, and a huge learning experience for me. Look for it in November.

No comments: