Sunday, September 28, 2008

Burgermaster


Burgermaster - Townsend, TN

I lived in Cades Cove (Great Smoky Mountains National Park) for a few summers while working (early/mid 90's), and on days when we would get off early we would drive down to Townsend for a burger and fries at the Burgermaster...it was the highlight of a long, tiring day.

Kim and I went hiking near Tremont today, and stopped at the Burgermaster for our reward. To be kind, the atmosphere is still the same (which is a good thing)...it's a burger "stand" and has picnic tables and a gravel parking lot...much like the many other hamburger stands across the country. On the food side, I must say that either my memory is horrible or the food has changed alot. The burgers were of the high-school patty variety...frozen, and pretty much tasteless. The fries were crinkle-cut, which in my book is a good thing, but even they seemed somehow tasteless (undercooked?). Is my memory wanting the old burgers to be better, or were they not handmade patties in the past, and not frozen? Am I getting older and finicky? I dunno. All I know is that I hope the next time I head to the "Quiet Side of the Smokies" I will stop in at the Burgermaster and get a big 'ol tasty hamburger...unlike what I had today.

Suggestion to The Burgermaster: Take pride in your food and establishment. Make burgers that people will want to come back to, and cook your fries like they are the last fries on earth. Provide fresh ketchup (not in a packet), and don't simply rest on your laurels and rely on the fact that people (namely tourists) will always stop in for the quick meal. My memories with your fast-food are special, and I want to have more of them. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No comments: