Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Inspiration



















From Here to There: Alec Soth's America

I finally got my hands on this book ... it's been on my list for quite some time. As photo-books go it is like the usual in some ways, but not at all in others. It is mixed with blog-posts, essays, insight, and opinions. And thoughtful photography, except for the cover which is nicely embossed and holds hints at the contents inside. It's actually a bit refreshing to hold a "photo book" that has a type treatment for a cover. That's the one thing many books try to avoid, right? The book dork in me can't help it. It's a good mix of all of the above, and has been just the ticket to get my brain back in gear, and my goals back in sight. Sometimes it just takes a book, right? Or a swift kick in the ass from a book. 

I look at the things that get my brain moving and am surprised at times. Playing music with friends has been good lately (mostly the friend part, but the music too), looking (and reading, yes) at books is another. Work, driving, my dog, and even some of the harder stuff that life deals (or that you deal yourself) has been a motivator. I don't want to be gathering moss, and if you're in a rut maybe try a good book that you've been thinking of getting. Or a record. Or that road trip you've wanted. Or a dog. They all work.


No comments: