Friday, September 30, 2011

Andrei, and thoughts on Russia
















Andrei Tarasovich | 1999

I posted some shots from a trip I took to Russia back in 1999 a few posts below. Go figure that in these days of constant contact and internet openness, I neglected the fact that someone might eventually see these things and have a connection to them. I actually checked my junk-mail folder the other day (which I do about two times a year) and found a message in Russian with a familiar name in the title field. It wasn't spam at all, but a message from Andrei's girlfriend Nastya. She had found my photos online in a search I suppose, and translated her Russian email to English and sent it my way. BAM, I translated one back, and now I have solid contact with an old friend (and a new friend) in Vladivostok. I can now send Andrei the box of music I fully intended to send all those years ago, but didn't know the address or even where he had landed. I also found out that Andrei is now a craftsman, building fine-wood-furnishings for yachts. Who knew? And I have an open invitation to visit Eastern Russia again, and spend some time in the woods that impacted me so much all that time ago. Dang 'ol interwebs. Very cool.

No comments: