Monday, July 25, 2011

smallish-world


















Florence Graffiti. left: 2005 | right: 2011

I took the shot on the left in Florence back in 2005 with a crappy camera, and severely x-rayed film (not that it really matters). The shot on the right was taken in 2011 by Steve.Portigal (flickr name). He sent me a link to his shot after seeing mine, just to update. and it's pretty cool that this graffiti is still there, and has been added to in the time that has passed. I mention the shots for the simple fact that a complete stranger found mine on a fairly inactive page, and took the time to send a note. This kind of thing happens all of the time, but I tend to forget about the world outside of my daily routine, or at least I tend to forget to interact with that world.

This, and many other things of late, remind me of the importance of travel ... to make ourselves get away, see other cultures, and just experience places and people. It doesn't even have to be very far. I got my camera out this weekend and did some local-traveling. Nothing very far from home, but I interacted with some new places and people. I need to make some more travel happen soon. I'm excited to see the results, and I will share them. Maybe it'll start a conversation like the one above. Who knows ...