Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lost.


Red Roof Inn, Nashville. I-24 exit 52

This is an older photo, taken sometime in 2009 with a little point/shoot Sony camera. I can't remember exactly when, but it was a short road trip to hang out with my little brother and see some middle Tennessee sites. After a particularly weird night, I awoke and went driving. For some reason I was reminded of this lonely little shot. I just got in the car and headed north on Broadway, past Halls, through Maynardville and up to New Tazewell. I stopped by LMU and took some pictures for a future book cover, and then headed west on Highway 68 through Powell Valley to La Follette. That's a really peaceful drive, and provided some excellent thinking-time. Driving heals.

Anyway, sometimes I drive to get lost, but it never really works. I mean, not in the physical sense. You always wind up somewhere, and not really lost at all. Getting lost IN the drive is something I will always do though, and it is invaluable for the mind, and to stay connected to my surroundings. So, here's to getting lost, but not really getting lost at all, both at the same time. Yeah, yeah ... I know, but it makes sense to me.

Cheers little hotel bush. I like you.

No comments: